Dealing with Dry, Itchy Skin on Legs
Soft, smooth legs can be yours with this guide. Here you can find out tips on how to soothe & moisturize legs effectively.
When our legs are soft and smooth, we feel confident that we can wear anything. But, sometimes skin can look rough, dry, and even flaky, making us feel self-conscious. Dry skin on legs can be caused by many factors including hot baths or showers, weather conditions, and shaving - anything that strips the skin of its natural moisturizers and oils. So having dry legs isn’t always something we can prevent, but it is treatable with the right methods and products.
Here are four solutions for dealing with dry legs, with advice and tips on how to tackle the symptoms and get the dry skin on your legs looking and feeling healthy again.
- Exfoliate Dry, Flaky Skin on Legs
While it can be tempting to use exfoliating body brushes and granulated body scrubs to deal with dry, flaky skin, exfoliating too often can irritate the skin more. When you have dry skin on your legs, exfoliate no more than once a week. This frequency can help to remove dry, damaged skin cells from the surface without causing too much irritation to the skin.
- How to Moisturize Dry Legs
In addition to exfoliating the surface of the skin, you need to tackle the problem by moisturizing and helping to renew dry skin. Moisturizers and lotions containing Vaseline® Jelly are great at rejuvenating and replacing lost moisture at the source. For example, Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Advanced Repair Unscented Lotion, with micro-droplets of Vaseline® Jelly, works to seal in moisture to support and protect the skin’s natural renewal cycle helping to heal dry skin.
Once you’ve chosen a suitable moisturizer, add this quick step-by-step method to your daily routine for softer, hydrated legs:
• First, wash with a gentle liquid cleanser. Avoid harsh soaps, as these are more likely to strip the skin of moisture making dry skin look even worse.
• Pat your legs dry with a clean, soft cloth – rough towels may further remove natural oils, drying your legs out even more.
• After gently drying, massage a good moisturizing lotion into your skin thoroughly to lock in moisture. It’s best to choose a lotion that absorbs fast, so you can get dressed and get on with your day.
- Shave Legs with a Moisturizing Gel
Shaving may be one of the most common causes for very dry skin on legs. Shaving your legs can remove natural oils that keep the skin soft and moisturized. Shaving also creates abrasions in the skin, which can lead to dryness. You can help replenish lost oils and moisture by using a moisturizing shaving foam or gel, rather than just shaving legs with water and regular soap. It’s also vital that you care for your legs after shaving to prevent them from drying out. Use a moisturizer like Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Advanced Repair Unscented Lotion which contains healing micro-droplets of Vaseline® Jelly – to replace lost moisture.
- Soothe Dry, Itchy Legs
Itchy skin on the legs is often caused by dryness – moisturizing regularly can help combat dry skin and minimize resulting itchiness. Whether you’ve got itchy lower legs, itchy thighs, or your whole leg is itchy, a variety of factors can lead to dry, itchy skin on legs, so they need to be treated with special care, for example:
• Chafing – Sweat can make legs hot and clammy, causing rubbing and pulling of the skin as you walk. This can cause irritation, and result in dry, uncomfortable, skin between the legs. A good trick is to provide the skin with a protective barrier, like Vaseline® Healing Jelly, to reduce friction and chafing between the legs when walking or exercising. This protective layer prevents sweat from seeping into the chafed skin and irritating it further.
Dry and itchy skin on legs can be uncomfortable, so it’s important to focus on finding quick, simple ways to moisturize and soothe the skin. And it’s not just about treating dry legs, preventing the skin from drying out is also essential. Keeping up a good skin care regimen that involves moisturizing daily, exfoliating twice a week, and caring for your legs during and after shaving will help you to maintain soft, healthy legs in the long term
The advice in this article does not constitute medical advice, it is solely available for information purposes.
New Vaseline® Clinical Care™ Extremely Dry Skin Rescue Body Lotion delivers clinical strength moisturization to heal very dry skin in just 5 days.