How to Reduce the Appearance of Age Spots on Hands
When we think of maintaining the look of healthy skin, more often than not, facial moisturizers and serums come to mind. But there’s one very important part of the body that can be overlooked—and that’s the hands.
Unfortunately, the skin on our hands can reveal the passage of time most obviously in the form of age spots. These dark spots on hands, caused by years of sun exposure, are unsightly, but don't have to be forever. With the right skin care regimen from Vaseline you can get a handle on the situation with confidence.
Identify the Symptoms of Age Spots on Hands
Think you’ve got ‘em? Take note of these characteristics.
• Age spots are flat with an oval shape
• Age spots can be tan, brown or black in pigmentation
• Age spots can range from the size of a freckle to about ½ inch across*
• Typically, age spots are more common in adults over 50 (but that doesn’t mean those younger are completely safe, especially if they spend their time baking in the sun)*.
• Age spots have the potential to look similar to cancerous growths, but true age spots don’t require medical attention*. However, it’s best to consult a professional if you notice any changes or have questions.
Understand the Cause
Those spots are the result of overactive pigment cells. It all starts when skin is exposed to the sun (or tanning lamps) for prolonged periods. The ultraviolet (UV) light speeds up the body’s natural production of melanin and, over the years, the melanin can collect and clump just below skin’s surface, causing brown spots on hands to appear. *
Age spots can also be caused by the hormonal imbalances that occur in women during menopause. Estrogen regulates melanin production and changes in this hormone level can affect the structure and performance of skin cells. Simply put, it causes skin to lose elasticity and become lighter, which can ultimately lead to age spots.**
Reduce the Appearance
Visibly reduce the appearance of age spots on hands with an anti-aging skincare routine that includes moisturizers formulated for healthy looking, rejuvenated skin.
Try Vaseline® Clinical Care™ Dark Spot Rescue Moisturizing Hand Cream helps to visibly reduce the appearance of dark spots in just 4 weeks.
If you already have age spots on your hands, consider these options to help keep them from getting bigger or darker.
Be Mindful of your time in the sun. UV rays are the strongest between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.*, so keep this in mind when you’re outdoors for barbecues or runs in the park during that time of day. Try to seek shade or ensure you have the proper SPF! Grab the sunscreen. Better yet, don’t leave home without it! Sunscreen is most effective when applied 15 to 30 minutes before heading outside*. Lather it on, and yes, this includes your hands, and be sure to reapply every two hours.
* https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/age-spots/symptoms-causes/syc-20355859 **http://www.dermalinstitute.com/us/library/12_article_How_Does_Menopause_Affect_the_Skin_.html
New Vaseline® Clinical Care™ Dark Spot Rescue Hand Cream, with intensive moisturizers and Vitamin B3, reduces appearance of dark spots in 4 weeks.