Dry Itchy Skin Relief
Advice on how to relive dry, itchy skin.
No one wants dry itchy skin. But the fact is, itchy skin can happen to any of us and can be caused by a number of factors. Always consult a doctor about your dry, itchy skin as they can advise you on how best to approach caring for your itchy skin and on finding the best solutions that can alleviate discomfort, while avoiding common triggers of itchiness. Here we explain how to soothe itchy skin all over the body that is caused by dryness.
If your skin feels itchy, always check with your doctor first to see what’s causing it. Itchy skin with no rash but with a flaky appearance could mean you have dry skin. Dry, flaky skin that is itchy can also be a part of the healing process when you have sunburn.
Dry skin is a common cause of itchiness, but the good news is that it’s simple to soothe and minimize discomfort caused by dryness. Scratching the itch may be the first thing you want to do, but think again – this ‘temporary relief’ can actually damage your skin further. Instead, try these tips on how to relieve itching skin all over your body that is caused by dryness.
H3 heading to waive off WCAG issue
How to Stop Itchy Skin Caused By Dryness
- Itch Relief for Dry Skin
Soothing Lotions – Try nourishing moisturizers that replace lost moisture and soothe the skin at the same time. Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Advanced Repair Unscented Lotion contains glycerin and healing micro-droplets of Vaseline® Jelly to help replenish your skin’s natural barrier and restore moisture, helping to relieve dryness. Apply after bathing and gently drying your skin, to minimize itching all over the body caused by dryness.
- Occlusive Moisturizers – Vaseline® Jelly is a great occlusive – it forms a protective seal within the stratum corneum (outermost layer of the skin where dryness starts) to lock in moisture and help heal dry skin. It’s also 100% pure making it ideal for dry skin. Gently rub Vaseline® Jelly onto dry, itchy skin to deeply moisturize and help alleviate itchiness. Your skin will look smoother and feel healthier.
- Itch Relief for Dryness from Sunburned Skin
It’s best to avoid getting sunburned in the first place by wearing sunscreen. Read our prevention section below for tips on avoiding sunburn. However, sometimes, despite our best efforts, it's just not possible to avoid sunburn. Here’s how to help soothe the itch associated with sunburn dryness:
- Restore Moisture – When you have sunburn, your skin can feel dry and itchy. Prolonged exposure to UV rays can cause sun damage leading to the skin losing moisture as skin cells are destroyed or damaged. As a result, dry, flaky skin can peel off, which may cause itchiness. To soothe your skin during the healing process apply Vaseline® Jelly. As with itch relief for everyday dry skin, the jelly will help to replenish essential moisture, soothe itchiness from dryness, and may help keep your sunburned skin looking smoother as your skin heals itself.
- Apply a Cold Compress – Sunburned skin often feels hot and itchy. Try using a cold compress to cool the skin and help relieve discomfort. Soak a small towel in cold water and apply directly to the affected areas for effective relief.e.
- Helping Prevent Itching All Over the Body Associated with Dry Skin
- Fight the Urge to Scratch – Constant scratching can damage your skin, which could make your itch worse. Although it’s difficult, try not to scratch. Keep your nails short and clean, so that if you do scratch you’re less likely to break the skin.
- Let Your Skin Breathe – Avoid materials that could irritate your skin like wool and some man-made fibers. Wear garments made from cotton or silk and that are loose fitting. It’s also a good idea to use cool, light bedding to minimize itching at night while you sleep.
- Avoid Irritants – Harsh ingredients can irritate dry skin and trigger itchiness. Use mild, fragrance-free or unscented laundry detergents, cosmetics, and skin care products. Look for items labeled as hypoallergenic, like Vaseline® Jelly. The original triple-purified Vaseline® Jelly is an ideal daily moisturizer and it’s appropriate for use by people with sensitive skin. Its 100% pure formula does not contain any ingredients that are likely to irritate your skin. It’s also recognized by the National Eczema Association as a suitable choice for eczema sufferers.
- Bathing – Bathe or shower in cool or lukewarm water to help prevent and relieve itching. Hot water can strip the skin of natural oils making it dry. Take shorter showers and baths, and remember to apply moisturizer after bathing to lock in moisture.
- Wear Sunscreen – Apply a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 before going outside and reapply throughout the day. Wearing sunscreen can help protect your skin from sunburn that may lead to dryness and itchiness. If possible, you should also avoid going outdoors or stay in the shade between the hours of 10am-4pm, when the sun’s rays are typically at their strongest. Covering up with breathable fabrics, and wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses can also help keep your skin protected from UV rays.
Dry, itchy skin can happen to anyone, at anytime. But, don’t just sit there and bear it – take action. With these tips on dealing with itchiness caused by dryness, you may be able to resist the urge to scratch!
The advice in this article does not constitute medical advice, it is solely available for information purposes.
How to Get Healthy-looking, Beautiful SkinHealthy Skin Tips For Every Skin TypeRead More How to Get Healthy-looking, Beautiful Skin »
How to Treat Dry Skin Around the EyesLess red eyes, more smize: here's how to treat and prevent dry skin around eyes.Read More How to Treat Dry Skin Around the Eyes »
How to Take Care of a TattooTattoos require a lot of skin care before & after. Vaseline® Healing Jelly can keep skin hydrated & lock in moisture to keep ink looking fresh!Read More How to Take Care of a Tattoo »
Lip Balm for Your LipsPucker up and give your dry lips some love with one of our soothing and healing Vaseline® lip balms.<div> </div>Read More Lip Balm for Your Lips »
EQUITABLE SKINCARE FOR ALL
Every body, Everywhere Deserves Healthy Skin
Systemic racism and healthcare inequities negatively impact Black and Latinx communities, leading to worse health outcomes for people of color, and skincare is no exception. We want to change that.